Friday, February 27, 2009

A Friend and I Learn How to Build a Fireplace

Learning how to build a fireplace is not a simple matter for anyone I know of. Most people that I know would love to hire out these kinds of projects. There are always those very exceptional folks who enjoy taking on these kinds of projects for the sheer accomplishment of it. I have a delightful friend who begins many of these tasks, but never quite seems to finish them. When I go to his home, it's like visiting a warehouse for misplaced and unused objects. It makes me stop and wonder!

His most recent project, and now mine, is in learning how to build one's own fireplace. I know nothing about this which I suppose says a good deal about what I do know! Of the many things I have read on the subject, one of the most important things to realize is that a sound foundation is crucial. The foundation needs to be made of something that will not burn. Sounds obvious and reasonable but apparently not so to everyone. Another important consideration in learning how to build a fireplace is to recognize and understand what your local code enforcement rulings are. It is best to accept what they are and work with them, not against them. Time is short and so is money. So, don't create a structure that has to be torn down in the end because you didn't think someone would come around and check out your construction.

Also, I really want to nail down the basics regarding safety considerations. I want the smoke and other fuel by-products to vent out properly. I don't want to be suffocated after all of my hard work! I suspect that the neighbors don't either. The rest of my concerns are more easy to manage. I know what my budget will allow for and I know what component materials I want to use. I have a preference for brick, red brick to be specific. I can't imagine having a fireplace made of any other material. Well, I am ready to begin the actual building of my fireplace and I am excited. Wish me well!

Simon Harris writes about how to build a fireplace at http://www.fireplace-reviews.com

No comments: