Friday, June 5, 2009

Going Green Easy is Not Just About Saving on Energy

In my green research, I've found some interesting information. Remember though, being green is not just about saving energy. It's also about conserving the resources that we have so that our children's children can have a bright future for themselves.

Trying not to sound too much like a tree hugger, after all I am in construction. It would seem remiss of me if didn't acknowledge that I participate and fully advocate growth where it is needed. But, I have often spoken about recycling and remodeling as well.

Tearing a house down gives a builder the opportunity to use some of those same materials and to build in that same place. It's new. It's fresh. It works.

Not everything needs to be torn down though. If the structure and the foundation are solid, remodeling is the answer. These are things I learned from my father throughout my life and when I followed in his footsteps years ago.

Taking those same principles universally, I learned early that conservation and preservation are important even and especially within the construction industry. What can I say? My father was a forward thinker.

So, my research will begin to depict my learning as far as the construction industry is concerned. But, what can we all do in our own little way? I'm learning a good bit about that as well.

Do you know that switching from a desktop to a laptop computer is a great energy saver? First of all, I didn't know there was anyone on the planet who still owned a desktop. I was amazed to learn years ago that a laptop had the same capabilities as a desktop, but I could carry it around with me. I write on planes and now I can even surf the internet sitting in a coffee shop. Could you imagine lugging a desktop around with you everywhere you go? And now, there is yet another reason why someone would want to purchase a laptop. It saves energy.

Use a slow cooker instead of the stove every time you possibly can. Do you really need to cook rice on the stove? Take a little extra time and put it in the crock-pot. You'll love the taste and the electric bill might not look so bad either.

One final thing for now is keeping your tires properly inflated. This has several benefits. You'll save on buying new tires because over-inflated and under-inflated tires wear much sooner than properly inflated tires do. But also, you'll save on the gas bill. Not having to fuel up as much will put a smile on your face when your car isn't being so hard on your wallet.

Being green means being concerned with both conservation and preservation. Conservation is managing what you use and preservation is managing what you have. But, you don't have to live your life in a shell. We can live our lives fully and completely enjoy them while at the same time making sure there is a great life left for our children to enjoy.

Jessica Brylan has been a student of construction all her life, under her father who retired in 2004. Her passion turned to interior design and strangely evolved into becoming a fireplace expert. Her latest fireplace report DIY Outdoor Fireplace demonstrates her knowledge and love of fireplaces. Read further details about the Ventless Gel Fireplace reports at The Ventless Gel Fireplace Reports and sign up for the newsletter so you can be updated whenever Jessica Brylan puts out a new one.

No comments: